Each tablet contains: Ciprofloxacin (as HCI monohydrate) 250 & 500 mg.
Mifoxin ( ciprofloxacin) is a potent antibacterial agent of flouroquinolones, a group of synthetic antibacterials related to nalidixic acid but has greater systemic antibacterial activity and having a broader spectrum.
Mifoxin is active against gram -ve bacilli and cocci including pseudomonas, klebsiella serratia, E. coli, shigella, salmonella enterobacter, neisseria, campylobacter, enterotoxigenic E. coli, haemophilus influenzae, haemophilus parainfluenzae, proteus mirabilis, proteus vulgaris, staphlococcus aureus including pencillinase producing and non producing strains and methicillin resistant strains). It is moderately active against most strains of streptococci including s. faecalis, mycobacterium tuberculosis and clamydia trachomatis. It is less active against most anaerobic bacteria.
Indications & Usage
- respiratory tract infections: pneumoniae due to klebsiella, haemophilus, proteus, E-coli, enterobacter, pseudomonas, pneumococci and staphylococci.
- Acute and chronic bronchitis and bronchopneumonia.
- Genital infections including prostatitis and cervicitis.
- E.N.T. infection.
- skin and soft tissue infection.
- Bone infections.
- Gastrointestinal infections including that of the biliary tract, diarrhea and salmonellosis.
- Pre and post operative as a prophylactic.
- patients known to be hypersensitive to quinolones and nalidixic acid.
- Not to be administered to subjects under the age of 18 year.
- Pregnancy and breast feeding.
- Hepatic function impairment, renal impairment and C.N.S. disorders.
A few isolated cases reporting C.N.S. stimulation, crystalluria, hypersensitivity reactions in the form of skin rash, itching or swelling of face and neck have occurred.
Photosensitivity and visual disturbances may occur during treatment.
Patients may exhibit some dizziness, headache, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and an unpleasant taste.
Sleep troubles are rare and do not necessitate the discontinuation of treatment but should be attended by a physician.
- urinary alkalizers may increase the incidence of crystalluria.
- Aluminium and magnesium anti-acids as well as sucralfate may interfere with the absorption of ciprofloxacin.
- Ciprofloxacin causes a delay in the hepatic metabolism.
- Probencid decreases the tubular secretion of ciprofloxacin.
Dosage and Administration
Doses are administered on an empty stomach and tablets are swallowed together with a glass of water.
- Bone, respiratory tract and skin infections: 500-750 mg b.i.d.for 14 days.
- G.I.T. infections: 500 mg b.i.d. for 5-7 days.
- Urogenital infections: 250-500 mg b.i.d.for 1-14 days.
- Gonococcal infections: 250-500 mg as a single dose.
- Other systemic infections: 250-500 mg b.i.d. for 10 days.
- Usual adult prescribing limit dose is 1.5 gm daily.
Adequate fluid intake should be considered during the course of treatment.
ميفوكسين 250 – 500 مجم أقراص فموية
Mifoxin Tablets 250 & 500 mg film Coated Tablets produced by Misr Pharmaceuticals, Cairo, Egypt.