Each capsule contains: Diltiazem HCl 60 mg , 120 mg or 180 mg.
- As calcium channel blockers, Diltiazem reduces peripheral vascular resistance & decrease coronary resistance.
- It reduces B.P. without reflex tachychardia because it suppresses sinoatrial node stimulation.
- Also, it improves myocardial relaxation & diastolic function, improves left ventricular performance & prevents coronary artery spasm. Finally it exerts a cardioprotective effect on myocardium.
- Treatment of angina pectoris (chronic stable and also vasospastic one).
- Management of hypertension, arrythmia.
- Atrial fibrillation or flatter (chronic & stable).
- Ischemic myocardial injury.
Dosage & Administration
- Adults: Initially 60 mg once daily, dosage range is 60-180 mg/day administered once or twice.
- Safety & effectiveness for children < 18 years have not been established.
- Patients with renal impairment: Initially therapy with 60 mg once daily.
- Atrioventricular blocking of 2nd and 3rd degree.
- Atrial hypotension.
- Acute myocardial infarction & pulmonary edema.
Drug – Drug interactions
- Digoxin, ß- adrenoreceptor antagonist & cyclosporin
- Require adjustment of the dose upon usage of Diltiazem.
ATC Code: C08DB01