|Product||CILOXAN eye drops|
|Available concentrations||0.3 %|
|Company||NOVARTIS pharmaceuticals Company – EGYPT|
|Anatomical main group||ANTIINFECTIVES|
|Therapeutic subgroup||ANTIINFECTIVES OPHTHALMOLOGICAL AND OTOLOGICAL PREPARATIONS|
|Pharmacological subgroup||QUINOLONE ANTIBACTERIALS (This group comprises quinolone antibacterials, inhibiting the bacterial DNA-gyrase.)|
|Legal status||Prescription only|
CILOXAN eye drops is used for the treatment of certain Eye infections caused by bacteria that are sensitive to it, such as:
- Bacterial conjunctivitis: (bacterial pink eye) is a bacterial infection of the eye which causes inflammation or swelling of the conjunctiva, CILOXAN eye drops is indicated for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis caused by susceptible isolates of the following microorganisms:Haemophilus influenzae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus mitis group, Streptococcus pneumoniae and others.
- Bacterial keratitis: is an infection of the cornea (the clear dome covering the colored part of the eye) that is caused by bacteria.
- Corneal ulcers.
- superfacial infections of the eye.
- After eye surgeries to prevent infections or inflammations.
You must talk to a doctor if you do not feel better or if you feel worse.
CILOXAN (ciprofloxacin) ) eye and ear drops as:
- CILOXAN 0.3 % Eye & Ear drops , Each 1 ml contains: (ciprofloxacin) 3 mg.
What you need to know before you take CILOXAN eye drops?
Do not take CILOXAN eye drops if:
- Hypersensitivity to quinolones: (ciprofloxacin) is contraindicated in persons with a history of hypersensitivity to (ciprofloxacin), any member of the quinolone class of antimicrobial agents, or any of the product components.
Warnings and precautions
- this product for ocular use only.
- Inform your doctor about any previous infections or other ocular conditions.
- Inform your doctor about all the medications you’re taking.
- Inform your doctor if you have any allergy to Ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin or any QUINOLONES antibiotic. Mention any other allergies.
- If blurring of vision occurs, avoid driving or any other activity which requires clear vision until your vision stabilizes.
- It is not known whether CILOXAN can harm an unborn baby or if it can pass into the breast milk, however, inform your doctor if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
- Prolonged and repeated use may result in other type of infection. Inform your doctor if you noticed any new or worsening signs and symptoms.
Other medicines and CILOXAN eye drops
Drug interaction studies have not been conducted with Ciprofloxacin Eye Drops.
It is a drug of pregnancy category-C. There is no adequate and well-controlled study in pregnant women. So, Ciprofloxacin should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
what is the recommended dose of CILOXAN eye drops?
- Children of one year of age and adults: Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) four – six times daily.
- Children less than one year of age: Not recommended.
- Dose for corneal ulcers :
- Instill 2 drop in the affected eye(s) every 15 minutes for the first 6 hours, then 2 drops in the affected eye(s) every 30 minutes for the remainder of the day.
- second day: Instill 2 drop in the affected eye(s) every hour.
- third day: Instill 2 drop in the affected eye(s) every 4 hour for 7 -14 day.
Method of administration
- How to use:
- Wash your hands properly before using the medication.
- Turn the closed bottle upside down and shake to move the medicine into the tip of the bottle.
- Continue holding the bottle upside down and remove the cap.
- Tilt your head back and slightly pull your lower lid down.
- Hold the bottle over your eye and gently squeeze the bottle. Instill the number of drops required for both eyes. If a drop misses the eye, do it again.
- Put back the cap and close tightly. Keep in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid touching the applicator tip with your fingers and ensure that it doesn’t touch the eye when used.
- Avoid the use of contact lenses during the entire course of the disease.
- If any sign of allergic reaction occurs, immediately discontinue use and contact your doctor.
- CILOXAN is a viscous liquid with an off-white color. Discontinue use if you noticed any discoloration or if any precipitates are visible.
- Take the medication exactly as prescribed. Avoid missing doses and do not discontinue until full course of treatment has been completed.
- If you are using any other eye medications such as drops or ointments, give at least 5 minutes interval between the medications.
- Once opened, the medication can be stored in room temperature for up to 28 days.
- Unopened bottles can be stored in the fridge. Do not freeze the medication
If you forget to take CILOXAN eye drops
- If you forget to take CILOXAN eye drops, take your dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, just skip that dose and take the next one when it is due. If in doubt, please contact your doctor or pharmacist. If you have to skip a dose, still take all of your dose. This means that you will finish your course a day later.
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you stop taking CILOXAN eye drops
- Never stop the treatment with CILOXAN eye drops on your own, but first discuss this with your doctor. If the prescribed treatment is not completely finished, the infection may come back again.
- If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Possible Side Effects of CILOXAN eye drops:
- Temporary eye irritation.
- Eye pain.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Contact dermatitis.
- Blurring of vision.
- Eye discharge or crusting.
- Signs of allergic reactions such as itching, rashes, nasal congestion, difficulty of breathing, swelling (face, tongue and throat), and fever.
- corneal deposits.
- ocular hyperaemia.
How to store CILOXAN eye drops?
- Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Do not use longer than 30 days after first opening.
- Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
Contact Pharmacily administrator: If you have any notes or feedback you need to reach us with, feel free contacting us any time via e-mail( Listen2article@gmail.com). Please contact us via email (email@example.com) or via contact us form, if the information on this page is incorrect, or if you have other information to update this page.