Tropicil top is an anticholinergic agent used to block the responses of the iris sphincter muscle and the accommodation response of the ciliary body’s muscle to the acetylcholine stimulation
- The 5 mg/ml solution (0,5% eye drop) causes the pupillary dilatation (mydriasis).
- The 10 mg/ml solution (1% eye drop) causes mydriasis as well as paralysis of the transitory accommodation (cycloplegia).
Tropicil top is an eye drops solution which has Tropicamide as an active substance. Tropicamide is an anticholinergic agent, with ability to block acetylcholine’s muscarinic receptors, causing paralysis of the iris circular muscle and of the cillary muscle. This action results in pipillary dilatation (mydriasis) anf paralysis of the accommodation (cycloplegia). The usual dose is one drop instilled into the eye followed by a second drop after an interval of 5 minutes. If necessary, a further one drop may be instilled after 30 minutes.
- Active Ingredient: Tropicamide.
- Therapeutic Activity: Mydriatic for diagnostic use.
- Mydriasis fro performing ophthalmological exams.
- Therapeutic mydriasis.
The Recommended Dosage
- As a cycloplegic agent, the usual dose is two drops of Tropicil top, every 5 minutes, for a refraction study. The eye should be obsereved 20 to 49 minutes after applying the second drop.
- As a mydriatic agent, for deep ocular exam, the usual dose id 1 to 2 drops of Tropicil top, on the eye to be obsereved. To keek the mydriasis for a longer peroid of time, it is necessary to instill one more drop every 39 minutes.
- The eye drops should be applied in the conjunctival sac, the space between the eye and the eyelid.
- You should avoid repeated instillations of the eye drop.
Dosage Related Instructions
- Use only according to a doctor’s instructions.
- Do not exceed the stated dose.
- If you have accidentally applied an excessive dose, rinse the eyes thoroughly with water and consult the doctor.
- ATTENTION: Do not swallow! This medicine is intended for external use only.
How To Use
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Tilt back your head or lie down on a bed and with the aid of a finger pull the lower eyelid away slightly from the eye.
- Instill the drops into the gap and apply pressure with a finger on tear (lacrimal) sac for approx. 3-4 minutes.
- In order to prevent contaminating of the drops, avoid touching the dropper bottle top on any surfaces including the fingers or the eyes and keep the bottle well dosed when not in use.
- Do not use this product for more than 1 month once the bottle has been Tropicil toped.
- This medicine and all other medicines must be stored in a safe place and out of the reach of children and/or infants to avoid poisoning. If you have taken an overdose, or if a child has accidentally swallowed the medicine, proceed immediately to a hospital emergency room and bring the package of the medicine with you. Do not induce vomiting unless explicitly instructed to do so by a doctor!
- This medicine has been prescribed for your condition, in another patient it may cause harm. Do not give this medicine to your relatives, neighbours or acquaintances.
- Do not take medicines in the dark! Check the label and dose each time you take your medicine. Wear your glasses if you need them.
Warnings And Precautions
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Tropicil top.
- If you are sensitive to any type of food or medicine, inform your doctor before commencing treatment with this medicine.
- Adsorption: There is the risk, particularly in children, of absorbing the compounds at the level of the nasal mucosa after being dragged by the lachrymal secretion and drained through the lachrymal duct therefore, the corner of the eye should be pressed for a few minutes (2 to 3 minutes) after applying the eye drops solution on the conjunctiva.
- Photo-sensitivity: Tropicil top increases the eye sensitivity to light, for which it is recommended to wear sunglasses in order to protect the eyes from the ultraviolet radiation action.
- Children: children with spastic paralysis or mental disability arc more likely to be affected by the side effects of Tropicamide.
- Special care should be taken in patients with paralytic ileus, benign prostate hypertrophy, coronary insufficiency or heart failure and ataxia.
- Total accommodation recovery may take up to 24 hours.
- Special care and attention should be paid not to exceed the stated dose and to the stated side effects in this leaflet in the following group of people who are more sensitive to this medication: young children and blond haired or/and blue eyed children, children suffering from brain damage, spastic paralysis or Down’s Syndrome and elderly people.
- Care should be taken with mydriaticsin patients where the intraocular pressure is unknown, post-operative iridectomy and in eyes with a predisposition to narrow angle glaucoma.
When This Preparation Should Not Be Used
- Do not use this preparation if you have a known sensitivity to any of its ingredients or if you suffer from Glaucoma.
- Do not use this preparation without first consulting your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing.
How This Medicine Will Effect Your Daily Life
- As this medicine may cause blurring of vision, care should be taken when driving a vehicle, operating dangerous machinery or any other activity that requires normal vision.
- Children should be cautioned against engaging in activities such as bicycle riding, playing near roads and the like.
If you are taking another drug concomitantly or if you have just finished treatment with another medicine, inform the attending doctor in order to prevent hazards or lack of efficacy arising from drug interactions.
In addition to the desired effects of the medicine, adverse reactions may occur during the course of taking this medicine such as:
- blurring of vision
- photosensitivity (sensitivity to light – see above).
Consult your doctor if these symptoms continue for 24 hours after completing the treatment.
Side effects that require special attention:
- eye irritation or inflammation (rare) discontinue use and consult your doctor.
Side effects resulting from an over-dose that indicate systemic absorption:
- dry mouth or skin.
- skin irritation.
- change in behavioural patterns (particularly in children).
- increased thirst.
- general feeling of debility.
- swollen stomach in infants.
- redness in the face
cease treatment and consult your doctor immediately. Anytime you experience side effects that are not listed in this leaflet or if you feel any change in your general health, consult your doctor immediately.
- Up to 25 °C. Close firmly to prevent penetration of air and humidity. Even if kept in the original container and stored as recommended, medicine may be kept for a limited period only.
- Please note the expiry date of the medicine! In the case of doubt consult the pharmacist who dispensed the medicine to you.
- Do not store different medication in the same package.
Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and up-to-date information. However, because pharmaceutical products affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this article includes all the information you should know, and you should always consult your doctor, pharmacist or health provider. Copyright: “All rights reserved (c) pharmacia1 .com” – Contact us via the contact form, or simply write a comment at the bottom of the page. ATC code: S01FA06 . Photo gallery of MYDRIATICS AND CYCLOPLEGICS EYE DROPS on Google Images.