Pernabol is an antihistamine medication used to manage allergic disease as well as to stimulate appetite. It also blocks the action of serotonin, which is a natural substance in the brain involved in the regulation of mood, anxiety, sleep, appetite and energy levels. Each tablet of Pernabol contains 4 mg Cyproheptadine, a first-generation antihistamine which used as an appetite stimulant. Several studies found that Cyproheptadine may aid weight gain in people who have lost their appetite and are at risk of malnutrition.
Pernabol is often used as an appetite stimulant. It is also used for the management of different types of allergies. Pernabol is used to relieve the symptoms of allergy, such as hayfever, runny nose, sneezing, and itchy and watery eyes. It also relieves the itchiness associated with some skin problems, such as rash, hives, dermatitis, eczema, mild reactions to insect bites, and chickenpox.
Pernabol is also used to treat migraines and other similar headaches, in people whose symptoms have not been relieved by other medicines. Migraine is an intense, throbbing headache, often affecting one side of the head. It often includes nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, and sensitivity to sound.
Pernabol belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine and other substances produced by the body, which are causing your allergy or itchiness. Your doctor may have prescribed Pernabol for another reason. Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why Pernabol has been prescribed for you. Pernabol is not addictive.
How to take Pernabol
The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, the response to medication and the development of any adverse side effects. Your doctor will advise you on the length of time for which you will need to take this medicine. This may vary between patients.
- Do not use Pernabol in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 2 years old.
- You should not use antihistamine medication to make a child sleepy.Death can occur from the misuse of an antihistamine in very young children.
Pernabol dosage for allergies and itching:
- For adults, the usual starting dose is one tablet three times a day. The dose may need to be adjusted depending on your response. Do not take more than 8 tablets a day.
- For children 7 to 14 years old, the usual starting dose is one tablet three times a day. The dose may need to be adjusted depending on the response to Pernabol. If an extra dose is needed, it should be given at bedtime. Do not give more than 4 tablets a day.
- For children 2 to 6 years old, the usual starting dose is half a tablet two to three times a day. The dose may need to be adjusted depending on the response to Pernabol. If an extra dose is needed, it should be given at bedtime. Do not give more than 3 tablets a day.
Pernabol dosage for migraine and vascular types of headaches:
- The recommended dose is one tablet initially. This can be repeated in half an hour if necessary. Do not take more than two tablets in a 4 to 6 hour period. Relief from the migraine usually
occurs with two doses and is maintained with one tablet every 4 to 6 hours.
Possible side effects
The most common side effects are drowsiness, mild sedation, increased appetite and weight gain. This medication may also cause excitement, widened pupils and can reduce the threshold for seizures making them more likely.
Taking Pernabol with other drugs
Tell your doctor about if you are taking any other medications, even if you think they already know. This includes herbal and off-the-shelf remedies from a pharmacy or the internet. This drug interacts with a wide range of medications and your doctor will advise you on the safety of taking multiple medications accordingly.
- In particular, caution should be taken when giving cyproheptadine with antianxiety medications or sedatives, as it may increase their strength.
- Caution should be taken if the patient is taking any medication for glaucoma, difficulty urinating, seizures, high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease and certain intestinal obstructions, as cyproheptadine can make these conditions worse in some cases.
Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and up-to-date information. However, because pharmaceutical products affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this article includes all the information you should know, and you should always consult your doctor, pharmacist or health provider. Copyright: “All rights reserved (c) pharmacia1 .com” – Contact us via the contact form, or simply write a comment at the bottom of the page. ATC code: R06AX02.