- Each Ospen 500 tablet contains: Phenoxymethylpenicillin 500.000 i.u.
- Each Ospen 1000 tablet contains: Phenoxymethylpenicillin 1000.000 i.u.
- Each Ospen 1500 tablet contains: Phenoxymethylpenicillin 1.500.000 i.u.
- Each 5 ml of the prepared Syrup ( Ospen 400 Dry syrup): Benzathine phenoxymethylpenicillin400.000 i.u.
- Angina tonsillaris, bacterial pneumonia, bronchitis, otitis media, scarlet fever, furuncles, abscesses, infection or danger of infection due to haemolytic streptococci, prophylaxis before and after tonsillectomy, prophylaxis of recurrences in rheumatic polyarthritis, bacterial endocarditis, glomerulonephritis.
- Ospen tablets and syrup can also be employed to support parenteral penicillin therapy.
Tablets : Adults and older children
- Ospen 500: 1 tablet 3 – 4 times daily.
- Ospen 1000: 1/2 – 1 tablet 3 – 4 times daily.
- During acute stage of severe infections: 1 tablet every 4 hours.
- Ospen 1500: 1 tablet 3 – 4 times daily.
- During acute stage of severe infections: 1 tablet every 6 – 8 hours.
- As a rule, treatment should be continued for a further 2 – 5 days following regression of symptoms.
Long-term prophylaxis of recurrences
- Ospen 500: 1 tablet once or twice daily.
- Ospen 1000: 1/2 -1 tablet once or twice daily.
- In the presence of increased risk of infection 1 tablet Ospen 1500 can be given twice daily.
Syrup- Ospen 400
- Children up to 3 years: 1/2 measuring spoonful Ospen 400 3- 4 times daily.
- 3 – 6 years old: 1 measuring – spoonful 3 – 4 times daily.
- Over 6 years old: 1 – 2 measuring – spoonful 3 – 4 times daily.
- Treatment should be continued for a further 2 -5 days following abatement of the symptoms and for at least 10 days in streptococcal infections.
- For prophylaxis against infection in epidemics of scarlet fever and for long-term prophylaxis: 1 measuring – spoonful twice daily.
Tolerance and Side – effects
- Ospen is well tolerated. Diarrhoea which may occasionally occur does not as a rule necessitate discontinuation of therapy.
- Allergic reactions occur less frequently and run a milder course than applying parenteral penicillin therapy.
Warning and precautions
- Convulsions may occur with the use of large doses.
- Therapy should be discontinued if allergic reactions occur and the patient should be treated with the usual drugs such as adrenaline, antihistaminics and corticosteroids. Sensitivity tests are advisable in staphylococcal infections.
- In patients who recieve prophylaxis of rheumatism with penicillin it is advisable to transfer the patient to prophylaxis with another antibacterial substance one week before surgical intenension (tonsillectomy, tooth extractionsetc.) Antibiotic prophylaxis with ospen against possible bacteriaemia should be reinstituted after surgery.
- Haematological studies and renal function teas are advisable on long- term treatment.
- Known hypersensitivity to penicillin or immediately previous unsuccessful treatment with penicillin.
- Manifest gastrointestinal disturbances(diarrhoea. vomiting).
On proper storage Ospen tablets and dry syrup retain their full efficacy until the expiration date on the pack. However the syrup should be used within 7 days after preparation on storage at room temperature and within 14 days on storage in a refrigerator.
Contact Pharmacily administrator: If you have any notes or feedback you need to reach us with, feel free contacting us any time via e-mail( Listen2article@gmail.com). Please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via contact us form, if the information on this page is incorrect, or if you have other information to update this page.. ATC code: J01CE02.