Each SR tablet contains: Verapamil Hcl. 240 mg.
- Isoptin is a calcium antagonist for the treatment of coronary insufficiency hypertension & cardiac arrhythmia.
- Verapamil inhibit slow calcium current flowing into the cell of the heart & smooth muscle cells and thus reduces the amplitude of muscle contraction. The myocardial O2 demand is lowered. It relieves coronary spasm after enhancing myocardial blood flow.
- Its antihypertensive action is due to decrease in peripheral vascular resistance.
- It has an antiarrythmic effect specially in supra ventricular arrhythmia by delaying impulse conduction in the AV node.
- It is used in chronic coronary insufficiency & long term treatment of angina pectoris.
- It is effective also in cardiac infarction, extrasystoles, atrial tachyarrythmia, atrial flutter & atrial fibrillation.
Dosage & Administration
Unless other wise prescribed, one tablet to be swallowed once daily. A dose of 480mg should not be exceeded.
- It should not be given in cardiovascular bradycardia, congestive heart failure, and complicated acute myocardial infarction.
- Pregnant & breast feeding women are not recommended to use the drug unless it is essential for their well being.
Drug – drug Interactions
Isoptin enhances as the action of other drugs as ß blockers, anesthetics, cardiovascular cyclosporin & theophyllin. While it decreases the action of lithium, rifampicin, phenytoin & phenobarbital.
In oral administration, it is well tolerated, unless in some cases, constipation can be seen.
Box of 10 sustained release tablet in strip.
ATC Code: C09BB10 / AGENTS ACTING ON THE RENIN-ANGIOTENSIN SYSTEM