Cervitam® Capsule is a combination of two medicines: Piracetam and Vincamine. Piracetam is a GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) analogue. It works by protecting the brain and nervous system against shortness of oxygen and also affects various ion channels on nerve cell membrane. Vincamine is vasodilator, it increases blood flow and circulation specially in cases of cerebral insufficiency of various types.
Cervitam® Capsule is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, and memory loss in Parkinson’s disease. It can also be used to treat age-related memory loss and head injury. It works by improving communication between the nerve cells and protects the brain.
Cervitam® Capsule may be taken with or without food. It is advised to take this medicine at the same time each day to maintain a consistent level in the blood. If you miss any doses, take it as soon as you remember. Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. This medication mustn’t be stopped without talking to your doctor as it may result in twitching or jerking movements and even relapse of the disease may occur.
Some common side effects of this medicine include nervousness and abnormality of voluntary movements. However, these are temporary and usually subside on their own after some time. Please consult your doctor if these do not subside or bother you. It may also cause dizziness and sleepiness, so do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus.
This medicine may cause weight gain, therefore, you should have a balanced diet and exercise regularly. Taking Cervitam® Capsule can affect platelet aggregation, so inform the doctor if you have bleeding problems or if you are on medications that help to make the blood thin.
Each Cervitam® capsule contains:
- Piracetam 400 mg.
- Vincamine 20 mg.
- Piracetam: It is neotropic, known as intelligence booster. It facilitates the oxygen supply to the brain and enhances communication between the left and right parts of the brain. it also enhances the memory.
- Vincamine: It has been proven that it is very effective in increasing concentration and attention. It is vasodilator, it increases blood flow and circulation specially in cases of cerebral insufficiency of various types. More and above Vincamine has very low toxicity, as it is an extract of plant origin.
- Symptomatic improvement of vertigoes.
- Improvement of certain symptoms of pathological intellectual deficiency of geriatrics (troubles of concentration , memory etc.).
- Treatment of constituted cerebral infarction.
- Complementary treatment to remedy symptoms of pathologic cognitive deficiency and chronic neurosensorial for geriatrics (excluding Alzheimer and other mental disturbances).
Severe renal insufficiency (if there is no dialysis, it is not advisable to use high dosage for short intervals).
- Hypersensitivity to one of the components.
- Cerebral neo-formation with intercranial hypertension.
- Usage with certain medications causing extremities twist e.g. Bepridil, Bretylium, Disopyramide, Erythromycin (I.V), Quinidin and Sultopride.
- Hypokalemia: hypokalemic diuretic, stimulant laxative, Amphotericine (I.V.).
- Vincamine may provoke extremities twist, it is advisable to observe conditions predisposing extremities twist.
- Before starting treatment with Vincamine, it is advisable to correct hypokalemia caused by use of other medications, and bradycardia of all origins.
- Auriculoventricular conduction troubles.
- Cardiac arrythmia, Vincamine should be used with caution and under strict surveillance.
Warnings & precautions
- In cases of renal insufficiency, dose should be modified.
- As Cervitam® is totally eliminated in urine,it is preferable to reduce doses or to increase time between doses, when clearance is less than 60 ml/min.
- In absence of control on plasmatic rates of Piracetam, it is preferable to reduce the doses or to increase time between doses, according to values of creatinin clearance.
Interaction with other medications
- Prohibited concomitance, with Bepridil, Bretylium, Erythromycin (I.V.), Quinidines.
- Inadvisable concomitance with hypokalemic diuretics, amphotericine (I.V.), corticoides, stimulant laxatives.
- Medications causing extremities twist e.g. pentarnidine, sparfloxacine. terfenadine.
- Notable cases of nervous agitation, instability, insomnia are accentuated with usage in elderly (5% incidence).
- Gastro-intestinal troubles e.g. nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastralgia (2% of cases).
- Possibility of widening of QT space and risk of extremities twist.
Dosage and mode of administration
- 1 to 2 capsules three times daily (according to severity of the case).
- Capsules should be swallowed as whole (without opening or chewing it), with half glass of water.
- Box of 20 capsules in tow strips (10 capsules each).
- Store below 30° C, protect from light, Keep in a dry place.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Produced by EGYPHAR – Obour City – Egypt.
|piracetam||N06BX03||C04AX07||vincamine||EGYPHAR – Egypt.|
Cervitam® – Information Leaflet
|Council of Arab Health Ministers and Union of Arab pharmacists|
|Medicament is a product which affects your health, and its consumption contrary to instructions is dangerous for you.|
|Follow strictly the doctor’s prescription, the method of use and the instructions of the pharmacist who sells the medicament.|
|The doctor and the pharmacist are experts in medicine, its benefits and risks.|
|Do not by yourself intenupt the period of treatment prescribed for you.|
|Do not repeat the same prescription without consulting your doctor.|
|Keep medicament out of children reach.|
Contact Us: If you have any notes or feedback you need to reach us with, feel free contacting us any time via e-mail( Listen2article@gmail.com). Please contact us via email (listen2article), contact us form, if the information on this page is incorrect, or if you have other information to update this page.