Asylon tablets Contain antacid to neutralise excess stomach acid, Asylon tablets work fast to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion.
Asylon relieves the pain and discomfort of bloating, flatulence, and trapped wind. Each tablet is formulated with dimeticone, a highly effective anti-foaming agent that causes the trapped air bubbles to combine and disperse, helping to eliminate the symptoms discreetly and without embarrassment.
Asylon also contains antacids which provide effective relief from heartburn, indigestion and acid reflux.
You must contact a doctor if you do not feel better or if you feel worse after 7 days.
- The usual dosage is 1 to 2 tablets to be chewed after or between meals , up to 3-4 times per day.
- In case of more frequent or severe pain, the dose may be increased for a short period, up to 10 tablets per day.
- This medicine is only for adults and children over 12 years.
- The duration of treatment is limited to 14 days.
Asylon is suitable for use in pregnancy or when breastfeeding if taken as instructed. However, if you are pregnant always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine.
Each tablet contains:
- Calcium carbonate 420 mg
- Glycine 180 mg
- Dimethicone 10 mg
Warnings and Precautions
As with other antacid products, taking these tablets can mask the symptoms of other, more serious, underlying medical conditions.
Do not exceed the stated dose. If symptoms persist after seven days consult your doctor.
Patients aged 55 years or older with unexplained and persistent heartburn should contact their doctor before taking Asylon.
Asylon is designed to help relieve pain and discomfort associated with excess stomach acid. Pain/discomfort associated with cardiac conditions may on occasion mimic indigestion; such pain will not respond to Asylon, therefore it is recommended that medical advice be sought if the pain does not go away.
Consult your doctor before taking Asylon if you have any kidney problems. Long term use may increase the risk of developing kidney stones.
Do not take Asylon:
- If you have severe kidney disease or suffer from kidney stones.
- If you have high calcium levels in the blood, kidneys or urine.
- If you have low phosphate levels in the blood.
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients .
Breast milk: There is no contraindication to the use of calcium carbonate in lactating women.
Pregnant women: Calcium containing drugs have been widely used in pregnancy by way of oral calcium supplementation or antacid therapy.
Asylon with food and drink: Avoid taking Asylon with large amounts of milk or dairy products.
Asylon tablets combine the most effective, rapid and potent non-systemic antacid with a prolonged high neutralizing capacity (calcium carbonate) together with glycine, a buffering amino acid that modifies the action of calcium carbonate towards more controlled neutralization, moreover glycine possess demulcent properties and supplements the protein intake which favours the healing of wounds of any type.
Asylon tablets contain two naturally-occurring antacids called calcium carbonate and Glycine which neutralise excess stomach acid by turning it into water & other natural substances.
Dimethicone is used in the treatment of flatulence and meteorism for the elimination of gas, air or foam from the gastrointestinal tract.
Neutralization of gastric contents involves the formation of calcium chloride, where some of calcium is absorbed from the intestine and about 80% is reconverted to insoluble calcium carbonate which is excreted in the faeces.
Indications & Usage
Used for the treatment of flatulence, hyperacidity and gas bloating.
- Hypercalcemia and hyperparathyroidism
- Hypercalciuria and nephrolithiasis
- Concomitant digoxin therapy (requires careful monitoring of serum calcium level).
Constipation, hypercalcemia, milk-alkali syndrome and acid rebound.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Side effects are unlikely at the recommended dose.
Very rarely severe allergic reactions e.g. rashes, swelling, itching or shortness of breath may occur. If you experience these reactions stop treatment and contact a doctor or emergency department immediately.
Long term use of high doses can cause high calcium and magnesium levels in the blood, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, diarrhoea and milk-alkali syndrome, especially in people with kidney conditions. This can cause nausea and vomiting, constipation, headache, alterations in taste sensations and muscular weakness.
Digoxin: Calcium carbonate and other calcium salts may enhance the cardiac effects of digoxin and other cardiac glycosides, if systemic hypercalcemia occurs.
Tetracyclines: Calcium carbonate and other antacids may interfere with the absorption of concomitantly administered tetracycline preparation.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
If you are taking any of the following medicinal products, speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Asylon because it can affect how these medicines work.
- antibiotics (tetracyclines, quinolones),
- medication for heart failure (e.g. digoxin),
- thiazide diuretics (water tablets),
- bisphosphonates (used for the treatment of osteoporosis),
- dolutegravir (an anti-retroviral medicine used for the treatment of HIV infection),
- levothyroxine (a thyroid medication)
- or other prescribed medicines (e.g. fluorides, phosphates, iron containing products, eltrombopag)
To maximise the benefit of all medicines being used, take Asylon 1 to 2 hours after taking any other medicines.
Dosage & Administration
Unless otherwise prescribed by the physician, one or two tablets to be chewed after or between meals and repeated when needed every 4 – 6 hours.
Pack of 3 or 80 or 100 strips x 10 tablets.
Store in a dry place, away from light in a temperature not exceeding 25°C.
- Medicament is a product which affects your health, and its consumption contrary to instructions is dangerous for you.
- Follow strictly the doctor’s prescription, the method of use and the instructions of the pharmacist who sells the medicament.
- The doctor and the pharmacist are experts in medicine. it’s benefits and risks.
- Do not by yourself interrupt the period of treatment prescribed for you.
- Do not repeat the same prescription without consulting your doctor.
- Keep medicament out of reach of children
ATC Code: A03A DRUGS FOR FUNCTIONAL GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERS.